Skip to main content

Panettone and Orange Trifle



Italian panettone is quite expensive in New Zealand, and pandoro too (a part from being difficult to find). But I always make sure that I get my hands on some. The other day I though of doing something 'adventurous': I bought some locally made panettone.

Usually I am not one who criticize products on the blog: if I don't like something I just don't talk about it. But I cannot hold back here: I opened this panettone and I immediately knew that it was wrong. Those of you who know panettone will understand: you open a box and a wonderful fragrance fills the room, but here... nothing! No smell. And no taste. It was dry, boring, and reminded me of cardboard. Even my kids agreed (and they are no panettone experts, but they know the real thing when they smell it, and taste it!).



I have to tell you another thing about me: I don't throw food away. For me it is a sin, the food must be really bad or gone off to end up in the rubbish. I thought my kids to clean their plates, the highest form of respect you can do for a sick and hungry world. So I though of using this tasteless panettone to make a trifle. I cut it into slices and soaked it with Cointreau.
Then I made a custard with two eggs, two tbsp of flour, 4 tbsp of sugar and 750 ml of milk, 1 tsp of vanilla paste and 2 tsp of mixed citrus peel. I poured the custard over the panettone.



Then I peeled an orange (it would be better to use more, but I only had one) and took all the skins off and placed it on the custard. As a final touch I grated some bitter dark chocolate on top. This way we could all eat it!

Photos and Recipes by Alessandra Zecchini ©

Comments

  1. Hayırlı günler, ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı olmuş.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Trifle! I would love to have some :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this, but sounds wonderful, when made right:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat a delectable dessert, looks irresistible and divine..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great save, I am with you - we try to use it unless not edible at all! Lovely save, I think it looks really gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to use this panettone... This recipe reminds me of a booklet I bought in Tokyo only devoted to tiramisù... One of the variations listed had slices of panettone instead of the usual savoiardi or sponge cake. I'll try it sooner or later, also because industrial vegan panettone is not that awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of this either. Good save on something that tasted like cardboard though. :o) Your end result sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great way to deck up foods which fall below expectations.I do this all the time whenever I am disappointed with store bought products or the leftovers are way too much.
    The trifle looks sooo yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faut, teşekkür ederim.

    Thank you all for your comments and welcome Tanvi!

    Yari, I didn't know that you can buy vegan panettone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it's available in health food shops here in Italy. But. since I had never liked the real one with eggs that much, I usually don't buy it. No way to get a vegan pandoro, though... (I was quite fond of it!) - I'll try to make it myself sooner or later...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make Rose Turkish Delights (Lokum), and Sweet New Zealand

Rose Turkish Delights (Lokum) Before I start I would like to say that I don't have a sugar thermometer, essential if you are really into confectionery, and that I didn't use much sugar for these Turkish delights. Many recipes use much more sugar, and it is not that I wanted to make a low sugar treat here (it is still pretty sweet), it is just that making it at home really makes me realize how much sugar there is already in my diet, and if I can have something with a little less... well, why not! This method is 'home friendly' i.e. these can be made at home with very little effort and equipment, and the recipe comes from my book  Sweet As...  where I also have the recipe for lavender and orange blossom Turkish Delights. Ingredients 1 l water 300 g sugar 2 tbsp lemon juice 100 g cornflour 1 tbsp frozen raspberries 1 tbsp rose water icing sugar (very little) and cornflour (lots) to dust. In a pot put hal

Home Made Marzipan Sweets

This is another recipe from my book Sweet As , and something that I love to make for Xmas. I would like to say that for marzipan you should get the best almonds around, natural, but here in New Zealand the almonds taste different from the ones in Italy. They are imported, not sure where from most of the time, but they are not top grade almonds. Still, with a few tips, you can make your marzipan taste great even with 'regular' almonds! Buy them natural, not blanched, you need to blanche then yourself or the result will be too dry. To blanch them you need to put them in boiling water for a couple of minutes, and then add cold water and take the skin off, one by one. For this recipe you will need: 200 g almonds 100 g icing sugar 5 apricot kernels. As I was saying before, the almond here have little taste, so I like to collect the stones from apricot and get the almonds out. They are a real pain to crack! In the photo above you can see apricot stones and kernels. The apricot kernel

Silver beet Paneer, a variation of Palak Paneer

The other day I showed you my curry made with borage , ‘invented’ because I have tons of it in the garden! The other green-leaf crop that does well in Auckland is silver beet. My old plants (from last year!) got so tall that I started collecting only the little leaves from the stalks, and they look like spinach. One of my favourite Indian dishes is Palak Paneer (or Panir), spinach with panir cottage cheese, and this variation is made using my silver beet. I washed (many times!) the small silver beet leaves, and then I steamed them and drain them. In a heavy pot I heated 2 tbsp of vegetable oil (I used rice bran oil) and sautéed for 30 seconds: 1/2 tsp ground cumin 1/2 tsp ground coriander 1 tsp turmeric 1/3 tsp ground chili then I added 2 roughly chopped shallots and, after 3 minutes, a good pinch of salt and the cooked silver beet. I cooked everything on low for about 20 minutes (you may need to add just a little water if the silver beet is too dry) and then finely pureed the content