Skip to main content

Mushroom, Tofu and Coriander Dumplings (or Vegan Gyoza)



The other night I made mushroom ramen soup, which was very good, but that is only the beginning of the story, and the recipe for the Ramen is not in this post (if you are interested you can read it here or scroll below this post).

The thing is that to make the mushroom stock I used a lot of mixed dried Asian mushrooms, and I had a bit leftover, so I decided to use them to make dumplings.

So the ingredients are:

Cooked Asian mushrooms (about a cup)


Dumpling pastry (50 pieces, round)


Tofu, 1 block


Coriander (a few leaves and stalks)


Soy sauce, to taste (I always use Japanese soy sauce)

There are two more ingredients which I didn't photograph, one is
Sesame oil, 1 tsp
(I didn't take a photo because my bottle is too greasy and you cannot read the label)
and the second is
Bread crumbs, 1 or 2 tbsp
(I didn't take a photo because I was to busy mixing the filling)


Place the mushrooms, tofu, coriander, soy sauce and sesame oil in a food processor and pulse until you get a fine texture. Add the bread crumbs a little at the time to reach a workable thickness (the other ingredients have high liquid content). I add bread crumbs also because they give the filling a nice and balanced taste, bringing out the Umami in the other ingredients.
I didn't add salt: the mushrooms were cooked in a light vegetable stock, and the soy sauce is salted. But you do what you like :-)


Here my 11 years old daughter took over the camera for the first step by step pics.

Place a little filling on each pastry circle

Lightly wet the borders with water

Gently fold the pastry

Pinch the ends well and make sure that there are no air bubbles inside

If you can, try to make them look pretty!

Done!

Now Arantxa has a go! We had 50 dumplings to make, so it is good to do it with someone, or it gets boring!

To cook them:

Personally I really like steamed dumplings, or cooked in a soup, but we had soup the night before, and my family really liked them fried... but I didn't want to fry all those dumplings (too greasy) so I opted for a half-way. In Japan they make Gyosa, also called potstickers, you cook them quickly in a hot pot with very little oil.

Place them in the hot pot standing up so that the bottom get golden and lightly crunchy, then turn them on both sides (I did 25 at the time and it was hard work!!!). At the end you are supposed to put a lid on and let them simmer in their own steam for a few seconds, but because I had so many dumplings I pan fried them in two batches, then put them all back in the pot and added just a little water to create more steam. Lid on for a minute and they were ready and piping hot. We ate them with sweet chilli sauce and soy sauce, very filling, 50 between 4 people and our bellies were round, and satisfied!

Photos by Alessandra Zecchini and Arantxa Zecchini Dowling ©


Comments

  1. wooww... cute dumplings.. i love it.. healthy too.. nice step by step procedure. thanks for sharing.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. una bellissima ricetta!
    grazie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bellissima ricetta davvero! Se riesco a fare la pasta per lo gnocco, senza glutine, la provo!

    Buona giornata Alessandra :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this recipe! I will try it, I need to inaugurate the gyoza mould I bought in Tokyo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Beautiful littl dumplings...:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe must be delicious ... I have a lot of Asian cuisine.
    My English is not very good! but the translators live .....
    Your French is good, I can understand what you write .... So you come visit me that you like!
    New Zealand is a country with beautiful landscapes, I love your country I discovered through your recipes ....
    see you soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pictures! These look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ciao Cara! Adoro i ravioli cinesi!!! Sai che non li ho mai assaggiati fritti, sempre al vapore o al forno, qui non è facile trovare tutti i tipi di funghi secchi made in China tantomeno la pasta già pronta...
    Baci e buon fine settimana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vegab Gyoza makes me hungry...for ur q"n regarding the aloo gobi masala, u can definitely add the green peas..Happy cooking..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yari!!!! I want to see the Gyoza moulds!!!

    Thank you all for the comments and all the rest :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gyoza is a new dish to me....they look so lovely. Beautiful pictures, Alessandra!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to make Rose Turkish Delights (Lokum), and Sweet New Zealand

Rose Turkish Delights (Lokum) Before I start I would like to say that I don't have a sugar thermometer, essential if you are really into confectionery, and that I didn't use much sugar for these Turkish delights. Many recipes use much more sugar, and it is not that I wanted to make a low sugar treat here (it is still pretty sweet), it is just that making it at home really makes me realize how much sugar there is already in my diet, and if I can have something with a little less... well, why not! This method is 'home friendly' i.e. these can be made at home with very little effort and equipment, and the recipe comes from my book  Sweet As...  where I also have the recipe for lavender and orange blossom Turkish Delights. Ingredients 1 l water 300 g sugar 2 tbsp lemon juice 100 g cornflour 1 tbsp frozen raspberries 1 tbsp rose water icing sugar (very little) and cornflour (lots) to dust. In a pot put hal

Home Made Marzipan Sweets

This is another recipe from my book Sweet As , and something that I love to make for Xmas. I would like to say that for marzipan you should get the best almonds around, natural, but here in New Zealand the almonds taste different from the ones in Italy. They are imported, not sure where from most of the time, but they are not top grade almonds. Still, with a few tips, you can make your marzipan taste great even with 'regular' almonds! Buy them natural, not blanched, you need to blanche then yourself or the result will be too dry. To blanch them you need to put them in boiling water for a couple of minutes, and then add cold water and take the skin off, one by one. For this recipe you will need: 200 g almonds 100 g icing sugar 5 apricot kernels. As I was saying before, the almond here have little taste, so I like to collect the stones from apricot and get the almonds out. They are a real pain to crack! In the photo above you can see apricot stones and kernels. The apricot kernel

Kamo Kamo Maori Squash and Italian Borlotti Beans

A crop which gives me great pleasure is borlotti beans, not only for their flavour but also because I love the idea of growing protein food! I eat fresh borlotti, or I dry them and then use them to make nice soups and stews; in particular I like soups with pumpkins, but since this year I am traveling on, I will not enjoy the pumpkins that are growing in my garden. So I tried a different 'pairing'. A friend gave me some kamo kamo, the traditional Maori squash, and told me that the way to eat it is to boil it (skin on) and then cut it and spread it with butter (or olive oil...) salt and pepper, and scoop the flesh out with a fork. I had two kamo kamo so I boiled one (as a was told) and cut the other and sauted with a drop of olive oil and other vegetables from my garden: red onion, and celery. Then I added the beans and some water, salt and pepper, and cooked everything until the beans were soft. I added water little by little, when necessary, and I thought that this would be goo